Vision & Mission
The Global Solutions Initiative is a global collaborative enterprise comprised of a network of world-renowned think tanks. It proposes policy responses to major global problems, addressed by the G20, the G7 and other global governance fora.
The Global Solutions Initiative was founded during the 2017 German G20 Presidency by the Initiative’s President Dennis J. Snower. The Global Solutions Initiative is a stepping stone to the T20 and G20 Summits and supports the Think20 process for think tanks.
The Global Solutions Initiative is primarily funded by major German foundations and public institutions. Please find a complete list of our partners here. Funds are mainly used to support independent research serving the G20’s global public interest.
- To provide research-based policy advice to help governments tackle major global challenges of the G20 and beyond
- To generate proposals for aligning business, civil societies and governments for global problem-solving to address human needs in thriving societies
- To start a world-wide movement that aims to recouple economic, political and environmental prosperity with social prosperity
The Global Solutions Initiative’s mission is to provide an intellectual backbone for the T20 process and thereby for the G20, pursued in the spirit of global citizenship for the recoupling of economic, social, political and environmental prosperity. To this end, we promote a variety of networks, publications and events:
- The Council for Global Problem-Solving (CGP) is comprised of recognized researchers and policy advisers from world-class research institutions who provide policy proposals to the T20
- The Global Solutions Fellow program encourages researchers, policy advisors and thought-leaders to engage with scholars, implementers and civil society to bring research-based insights to our network, the G20 and T20 processes, and the wider public
- The Young Global Changers, young changemakers from academica, business and civil society who engage in projects and activities that work towards the Recoupling of economic, political, environmental and social domains
- Dialogues with policymakers and business leaders, are based on Policy Briefs and dissemaniated through the G20 Insights platform
- The Global Solutions Journal assembles visions and recommendations from world-class thinkers, politicians and representatives from civil society and business
- The Global Solutions Summit – The World Policy Forum – is an annual conference that addresses key policy challenges facing the G20 and other global governance fora
- The Recoupling Dashboard, a country-specific research tool to measure the wellbeing of societies beyond GDP, which illustrates the correlation of economic prosperity, social prosperity and environmental sustainability
- International workshops and conferences comprising “deep dives” into particular policy areas
- National and regional meetings, exploring the interface between global problem-solving and local decision-making