- Joachim von Braun is Distinguished Professor for economic and technological change at Bonn University in the Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- His research is on economic development, science and technology policy, poverty reduction, food and nutrition security, agriculture, resource economics, climate, and trade.
- Joachim von Braun is President of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences of the Vatican, and member of Leopoldina, acatech, and various other academies of science.
- In 2020 and 2021 he served as Chair of the Scientific Group for the Food Systems Summit 2021 of the UN Secretary General.
- He is Vice-President of the NGO Welthungerhilfe. From 2002 to 2009, he was director general of the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) based in Washington DC.
- He served as President of the International Association of Agricultural Economists (IAAE), and received several national and international honors and awards.