- Toshio Obi holds a Ph.D. from Waseda University and a Masters degree from Keio University.
- He has worked for the UN Development Program as a program planner.
- He has served as a visiting fellow at Columbia University, George Washington University, Peking University, St. Petersburg State University, and Essex University.
- He is a member of various advisory committees of the Japanese Government including: Chair, National e-Government Promotion Council, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC); advisory member of the Prime Minister’s IT Strategy Council; President, International Academy of CIOs; Chair, UNESCO/UNITWIN Program on Disaster Management; APEC project director on e-Ageing; and Special Envoy to the Secretary General of ITU for Academia.
- He has published more than 40 books, including The Aging Society and ICT and annual World e-Government Rankings.
- He has received the MIC Minister’s Award (twice) and an Emperor Blue Ribbon Medal.