- Ulrich Volz is Head of the Department of Economics and Associate Professor of Economics at SOAS University of London.
- He is also a Senior Research Fellow at the German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) and an Honorary Professor of Economics at the University of Leipzig.
- He is a member of the Advisory Council of the Asian Development Bank Institute in Tokyo and co-editor-in-chief of the Asia Europe Journal.
- Ulrich has taught at Peking University, Kobe University, Hertie School of Governance, Freie Universität Berlin and Central University of Finance and Economics in Beijing.
- He has spent stints working at the European Central Bank and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and held visiting positions at the University of Oxford, University of Birmingham, ECB, Bank Indonesia, and Aoyama Gakuin University in Tokyo.
- He was also a Fox International Fellow and Max Kade Scholar at Yale University.
- Ulrich has been an adviser to a number of central banks, international organisations and development agencies.
- His areas of expertise include money, banking and finance; green finance; open economy macroeconomics; international economic interdependencies; and global economic governance.